maandag 3 juni 2013

Hook Comparison


To begin: I am only stating my own opinion! I am not affiliated with a crochet hook company or am financially compensated for this review :)

A few weeks ago I picked up the new Clover Amour hooks over at Echt Studio, because they were opening up a store and had a discount code!

I thought it would be nice to give them a try. My Clover Soft Touch were lying in their crochet hook case, unused, since I got my Tulip Etimo hooks.

The Amour hooks seemed to be in between the both of them when I looked at the handle. So I bought four of them in sizes 3.5 mm, 4.0 mm, 4.5 mm and 5 mm. These are the sizes I use the most.

At first sight they looked quite similar to the Clover Soft Touch, but with a smoother shaft. The handle looked more like the Tulip Etimo. The handle is a bit rounder with a dent as a thumb rest.


Here you can clearly see what I mean: the Amour has the flatness of the Soft Touch but is a bit more round comparable to the Tulip Etimo.

It lies nicely in my hand (I am a pen holder) and is very very lightweight. Lighter than the Tulip Etimo and lighter than the Soft Touch.

With acrylic yarn, hooking was a breeze. I really liked the feeling of it. It seems the Tulip "sticks" a bit more to acrylics and the Soft Touch makes it feel like you scrape with sanding paper through the loops.


The head of the Amour looks more like the Soft Touch and is deeper than the Tulip Etimo. I think the shallow head of the Tulip Etimo is also the cause of loose wound yarn splitting when I am using it. I did not have much trouble with splitting yarn with the Soft Touch and the Amour.

Overall, I really like it.

But I also know the main downside of these hooks are their price. They are pretty expensive (6-7 euros per hook or about 7-8 dollars).

To me I like to see it as an investment. And good tools are expensive unfortunately.

If I were to choose between a normal "oldfashioned" hook and an ergonomic hook I would not want to go without the ergonomic onces because with these I can crochet longer and better than with an oldfashioned hook!

If I were to choose a specific hook from my comparison I would choose either the Tulip Etimo or the Amour. The head of the Soft Touch is a bit too rough to my taste.

What do you think?

5 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi, dear! My name's Nina and I love crochet!
    I believe we have a lot of interests in common. So, I wonder if you want we follow each other.
    Please let me know your decision.
    xoxo
    Nina

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Nina,
      I would love to follow you :) I see you like emboidery!

      Have a great day!

      Verwijderen
  2. Dear Barbara, thank you for accepting my invitation.
    I'll try to link some project of mine.
    xoxo

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Dear Barbara, if you pass by here:

    http://omeupensamentoviaja.blogspot.pt/2013/04/comprei-fio-mais.html

    you will find an easy and beautiful suggestion for a blanket and a cushion!

    Maybe you want to include it in next thursday post.
    Feel free to decide.

    xoxo

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Nina, beautiful cushion! Coming Thursday the new link party will open and you may include it into the collection if you want to, it's open to everyone!
      See you then and thank you so much for stopping by and showing your beautiful work :)

      Verwijderen

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx